View Single Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:59   #70
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Oh Hum its a funny old world

In this headline the word 'drive' is used in the context meaning to impel or urge NOT in the context of getting in a car. Vehicles are not mentioned. And the headline is relevant to one scheme in a multitude of schemes to help kids get into employment. It's basically paying someone to be a 'knocker-up'. (Used to be a valid job once, why not again?)

Personally I dont see the general idea as a bad thing, the only issue I have with it is putting these kids back into education. These kids are already labelled as 'academical failures' because they have not gone on to further education. Why on earth set them up to fail again.

I'm so tired of people of a certain age attacking the kids of today. When most of us were that age you could quit a job at dinner time, knock on a few doors and find another by tea time. Companies like BT, British Gas, Norweb etc..were taking apprentices by the hundred. Bulloughs and GEC had 2000+ workers each. There were umpteen sewing factories, Rists, Textile Mouldings. The list is endless

Things are not like that now, the kids who get out and look for work are constantly knocked back, they get disheartened and give up.

I think that Cleggs idea is worth running with, it's much better thought out than YTS and the open to abuse apprenticeship scheme

And don't even get me started on those biased, surgically edited, one sided, headline grabbing, stereotype reinforcing BBC fly on the wall documentaries.