View Single Post
Old 20-07-2012, 17:10   #74
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Oh Hum its a funny old world

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well i think its ludicrous, When knocker ups were about, i doubt very much if many (if Any) people had or could afford alarm clocks, It aint a case of knocking the kids, Its a simple case of em learning to stand on own 2 feet, n becoming independent, not rocket science to me.
The target group of kids here are 16-17 year olds with no academic qualifications whatsoever.

Chances are they have been abandoned by the education system from an early age when they showed no aptitude for academia, thrown into the bottom stream, allowed to leave school at the earliest opportunity.

These were the kids that used to end up working with their hands, some of whom made fortunes doing it, problem is we aint got those kinda jobs available anymore. Manufacturing is all but non-existant and small businesses like mechanics, builders, electricians etc.. won't give them a chance because of the extra health and safety risk assessments and hoops they have to jump through when kids work.

Something needs to be done to save these kids from becoming the next generation of Jeremy Kyle viewers/participants.

I'm no liberal do gooder, but I can see where Clegg is coming from here. £2,200 a head spent now is far better than paying a lifetime of benefits.

Oh and this is the source of the non-story about 'driving kids to school'

Radical Scheme To Rescue NEETS Kicks Off Today

'PPDG will also provide a one stop shop for integrated youth services with varying levels of support to help young people. This will include, for example, family conferencing, wake-up calls to help young people develop a routine, bite-sized English and maths courses and weekend/evening activities.'