View Single Post
Old 28-07-2012, 11:48   #11
mobertol
God Member

Re: Tory MP slags off Olympics opening ceremony!

I enjoyed some of it and some of it made me cringe like the representation of Britains bucolic past. The use of the hill for the flags was good though. Enjoyed the Industrial revolution and the forging of the ring - also the homage to the two world wars (read that it was in honour of Accrington Pals too so that's a thumbs up!). Think he should have left it there though and missed out the nurses! Also very telling the representation of modern Britain - a culture dominated by soap operas, mobile phones and messaging - the work ethic of the Nation has disappeared very obviously in direct contrast to the past.

The music I enjoyed when it was accompanying in the athletes - nice and speedy and a great selection. Live thought Mike Oldfield was very evocative and Rowan Atkinson/ Chariots of fire was not bad. Hated the Arctic Monkies -never heard 'em before or the Dizzy rapper. Abide with me and Jerusalem were a bit cheesy. Sir Paul could have missed out Jude too -not one I would have chosen, come back Sir Elton, all is forgiven...but then you can't please all of the people all of the time. The whole point of the ceremony was the lighting of the flame and presentation of the athletes and they were the strong points of it all for me. Oh, and I did like the bell!!!

Here in Italy it's had a mixed reaction some found it showed the British sense of auto-irony and it was applauded and others hated it. Don't think they understood a lot of it myself as there was much to take in and the Italian commentators on the TV were struggling. Even called Mr Brannagh "Kevin" which gave me a laugh!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote