View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 00:48   #16
kestrelx
Senior Member+

Re: Bold Street Working Man's Club in the 70's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderpixie View Post
My partner seems to think that the band was called New England, he used to know it but can't remember the guitarist's name, but he does recall seeing him feeling for the edge of the stage with his foot (it was a slightly raised stage, apparently) and then laying on the dance floor to do things to his guitar, that he ought to have been doing to a 'lady', as he played it.
There is nothing on You Tube for them under that name. The stage was a platform about 8" - 12" off the ground. He was white and had frizzy hair he played guitar over his back and with his teeth even though he was blind. Amazed me at the time.

Quote:
I've also been told that Jack was the booking agent, Jean his wife and occasionally his kids would be there on a Sunday, too, Glen was his son's name but he can't recall his daughter's name. Jack died rather suddenly at a pretty young age, sadly. Jack had apparently booked the Sex Pistols to play but canceled after all the negative publicity. All the local bands played - Cybermen, Schoolgirl Bitch, Buffalo etc etc.
Jack was the agent and always ****ed. Jean used to work in the Job Centre. I knew Glen they used to go out birdwatching/rambling at weekends, I think Jack may have been a shooter/hunter as they had a cocker spaniel. I think he died about 1979 or something collapsed at home on his own.

The Lurkers played:

Quote:
My partner also remembers seeing the Scorpions and Jim Milne's Tractor as well as Arbre and Strife, amongst many others. He occasionally helped the DJ (Disco Mantis - Paul or Clint) to collect their gear but wasn't quite old enough to have been to see Gravy Train or Stackwaddy but knows of most of those bands as his mother was Pauline Marshall whose passing was recently mentioned on these boards - his mum used to go in the Pickwick and the Astronaut.

If anyone's interested, I'll post more of his recollections as they are stirred.
I saw all that you mention apart from Jim Milne's Tractor . Also recall they had heavy rock disco without bands some nights for sure, or did I forget about the bands? . Anything else you partner remembers please post!

Last edited by kestrelx; 11-08-2012 at 00:51.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web