View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 05:39   #55
Darby

Re: Church's Historic Waterfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I do wish they'd get on and do something specific about all the eyesores in and around the area. It just seems to get scruffier and scruffier.

I'd love to see that old map you mentioned Darby. I'm amazed when I look at old maps and photographs just how much things have changed - even within my lifetime there have been so many changes that it's almost impossible to remember how some things once were. We seemed to have far more actual houses in the town centre of Accy in the olden days, not to mention the Market St, Blackburn Rd, Henry St area of Church.
The one I saw belonged to an old friend who borrowed a copy of it from somewhere. Unfortunately, he lost it!!! I think you may have seen to one at:

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environ...cc/accwest.jpg

That one has the canal in it and the railway. The old one I saw was sometime at the end of the 1600's / begining of the 1700's (we didn't know the real date), and the quality wasn't too good either. The coach road followed tinker brook across what is now Blythes, and came to an old bridge before turning right towards Church Kirk, and then on down the Dunk. There was also a road from Church Kirk towards the Antley via the Stag and onwards towards accy following the River Stink to Bull Brig.

It must have been a fasinating place, and totally unrecognisable form what we have today.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote