View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 14:06   #709
Houseboy

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Actually you'd be surprised -there have been a great number of campaigns trying to stop child labour, especially -spear-headed by companies like Benetton in Italy and Nike among others...

Personally I don't buy "cheap" clothing -I was brought up to save and buy the best quality I could afford (my mother's philosophy handed down to her by hers) -I also try to buy home-grown or at least EU products.

In any case it does not justify the treatment many suffer at the hands of those involved in the drugs trade -from producer to consumer...you just have to look at certain areas of Mexico/Colombia for example to get an idea.
Point taken. However even if most people don't buy cheap clothes a lot rely on them to be able to clothe themselves and their children. It may only be a minority who buy them but it is only a minority of people who use drugs also.
It would be interesting to see (although I doubt we could ever get the figures given the nature of the beast) which industry "employed" more, drugs or sweatshops.