View Single Post
Old 18-09-2012, 18:18   #27
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Animal pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
The puppy should be nearly fully trained when it leaves a puppy walker, if the puppy walker just wants it for a pet and doesn't put any effort into the job then there is a chance it will not make the grade when it goes back to the centre.
My wife used to stand by workmen digging holes etc so the puppy got used to noise. Then took it through busy stores or even through the hospital, they always allowed it.
She would ask policemen to talk to the dog and rattle the handcuffs, there is a lot to the job that people don't understand. I couldn't have done it but did try to help. I was working away a lot. My wife had to put up with all the mess and sickness, wash the bedding and mop up. I used to take them to the station and drive to the next one so the puppy could get used to trains.
You are right about letting them go, both of us got a bit tearfull but they kept us informed of its progress. We never knew where they finished up though. The person who got the trained dog would know our address and it was up to them whether they contacted us or not.
Not all did.

Another thing about Leamington Spa, useless information, a boxer called Randolph Turpin lived there before he committed suicide. His family ran a guest house, I stayed there when I had been to A P motor products in the town, a company you will know. It was early 70's last time I went.
Told you it was useless information.
Yes we used to see them in the pub quite a bit, another thing they might have to get used to!

As for Randolph Turpin, I remember him when he was fighting in the 50s although I was only about ten - the name stood out, probably hearing it on the wireless etc. And Sir Henry Cooper unveiled a statue of him in Warwick Market Square, in the 50th anniversary year of his world title win.

Randolph Turpin - Career & Life

Nice picture of it below... takes me back to when I lived there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Randolph_Turpin_Warwick.JPG (108.3 KB, 11 views)