View Single Post
Old 24-10-2012, 23:09   #3
ToffeeGuy

Re: Here we go again

The simple fact is, and it is a difficult one for most taxpayers to swallow, that MPs aren't paid enough. I'll say that again, they aren't paid enough.

Since the 1980s MPs have been scared to award themselves pay rises which are commensurate with the job they are doing and in line with other high level public and private sector jobs. This was due to an expected backlash from taxpayers.

Therefore, as far as I can see, the expenses system was used to 'top-up' MPs salaries to a level which they should have been at if they had kept in line with other occupations during the past 30 years.

The answer to this is for MPs to be on a salary which is at the same level as other occupations. However, MPs are afraid to do this due to voter outrage. Perhaps the voters have to be a bit more mature about their attitudes to MPs.

The simple fact is that to attract the best people you have to pay the best money. I know the public like to belittle MPs but some of them are highly qualified people who are lawyers, businessmen etc in the wider world. They should be rewarded to this level in order to get the best.

People could also argue that it should be a vocation, but that is an idealist point of view. Look at the current lot. We are getting either career politicians (who have one eye on a lucrative career post-Westminster) or rich Tory boys with trust funds. We need to be attracting heads of business, headmasters, doctors, lawyers into Parliament but why should they come if the financial recompence isn't there?
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote