View Single Post
Old 25-10-2012, 11:35   #11
Ken Moss
Common Sense Member

Re: Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
would mps not serve their constituents better if they didnt get paid, and only received "out of pocket expenses", if you care about something and you believe in it strongly enough, would you not do it for free, as some of you know i ran a football club for 8 years, for free, for the love of it, for the joy it gave me and others. do others not do charitable work for free because they believe in the cause, are these not the kind of people that we want representing us, rather than career politicians?

i cant remember the last time i saw a politician who had "passion", they are all scared of upsetting someone and losing their "job", so take the job away in the first place, in this day and age we could have "video parliament" no need to have everyone in one place, it could be done in the evenings, allowing people to work, i realise cabinet members do have a little more work to do, but not many of them compared to how many mps we have.
Rather you than me. Jaysay has said several times on Accyweb that if you pay peanuts you only get monkeys.

I've said many times before that I wouldn't fancy being an MP due to the work involved and having seen the pace of Graham's life since he became the Hyndburn member that's pretty much sealed it for me. Your life is even less your own than as a Councillor and unless you live in London to start with it is a huge upheaval spending so much time away from your family. £60k+ sounds like a fortune and compared to most in the North West it is but even those at the top level don't get the massive perks that the general public perceive.

Personally speaking, I was glad when the expenses scandal broke because there were those who were milking the system for all that they could get and were caught red-handed. It made national politics accountable for the first time once the public started asking where their money was going and cleaned up a system open to abuse. If some MPs are still trying to get more out than they should then they really only have themselves to blame once they're caught out.

Local politics has undergone the same reformation and if you look at the expenses claims being made by certain Councillors over the years you can see who is only taking what they are due and those 'who have to live'.

Members' Allowances

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote