Thread: Paul Cook
View Single Post
Old 26-10-2012, 10:59   #195
johnclarke59

Re: Paul Cook

Greetings from a Sligo resident who has followed Paul Cooks career there with interest. The feelings that I have seen on your are similar to those expressed in Sligo when he left Rovers in the lurch on the eve of the season. Two wins out of three consecutive Cup Finals means that Paul Cook will always be a big name in Rovers' history but the manner of his departure left a sour taste, that his replacement Ian Barraclough has just won the League title for the club has meant that memories of the Cook era have faded a bit quicker than anyone expected.

The feeling in Sligo was that Cook left Rovers for a smaller club to be closer to home and to get one of those rare things in football a fairly stable job. After all Accrington don't have a reptutation fot dismissing managers often. The work he did with Rovers in taking them from not long promoted side to become one of the top teams in the country was remarkable and in doing so he used of his qualities to best effect. If I look back I would have to say that he did a great job in managing his players and getting the best out of them, but more than that he used every bit of luck he got to best advantage. The luckiest thing going for him was that he came into Rovers at a time when there was a really strong committee who sorted out the finances and allowed him the cash that he needed to rebuild his squad.

All that said I thought that he would be at Stanley for life and that you would hover above mid table and hit the play offs occasionally with good cup runs interspersed throughout because I think that that is the type of manager Cookie is. I suspect that his tenure at Chesterfield will be interesting because they will want more than that. The lesson from the Rovers experience for you guys is that if you keep getting the basic stuff in running the club at your committe levels right success will come. There is life after Paul Cook, from everything I have read I think that Leam Richardson is your man and so long as the structures are right the rest will follow.

One last thing with 6000 people due at the Showgrounds tonight to see Rovers get the League Trophy, Champions league football on its way next season ( well for one game at least !) and Paul Cook on his way to Chesterfield, how does Rommy feel now ?

Best of luck to Stanley
johnclarke59 is offline   Reply With Quote