View Single Post
Old 28-10-2012, 09:59   #1
kestrelx
Senior Member+

Question Are you sick of the E.U.?

It just came across this article about Surgeons leaving work at 48 hours, per week, even if half way through an operation. They do this because of the European Union...European Working Time Directive.

How European working rules have created a generation of "clocking off" doctors - Telegraph

Article written by a surgeon...quote;

I was performing surgery last week while teaching a newly qualified doctor at the same time – nothing unusual about that. Then, it got to 6pm and the trainee said she had to down tools. Sadly, there's nothing unusual about that, either.

I asked her what was so important that she have to leave mid-operation. She simply said she had to get home to baby sit because it was her "husband's night out with the boys". She was not apologetic about it and didn't really see it as a problem.

So, despite the operation being an interesting one, which would provide her with plenty of learning opportunities, she left promptly at 6pm, leaving me to finish the case.

It would have been great to leave early that day too. I had an important weekend – I had a reunion with all my friends from university and I was really looking forward to it. But it wouldn't have mattered if it were my parents' golden wedding anniversary, if I have a patient on the table, I just couldn't walk out.

It wasn't the first time I've seen a doctor walk out on a patient. I remember operating on a patient's abdomen when a trainee surgeon suddenly said he had to go home, because his shift was over. I had to struggle to finish the operation on my own.

Last edited by kestrelx; 28-10-2012 at 10:08.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web