View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:40   #77
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
And also the cost to us in replacing the Scottish regiments, and the impact it would have on our own troop strengths, I am sure some one on here could provide figures on how many Scottish soldiers the british army currently has
As replacements the disbanded English regiments could be reactivated for a start. As to numbers involved a Battalion can be anything from 300 - 1,200 troops, at present the "Royal regiment of Scotland" contains
5 regular Battalions (lets say 5,000 troops) plus 2 TA Battalions (2,000 troops) Also to be included would be the 1st Battalion the Scots Guards (part of the household Division, but still in the main a Scottish regiment) so a further 1,000 troops. Totalling 8,000 men approximately I'd suggest.

That said, the figures used are mere guesswork as real numbers are usually vastly different, many units & in particular Infantry are chronically undermanned. Add to that the amount of Scots that serve with Corps & Regiments within the "English" army, may change their allegiance if they could do their job with a "Jock" unit.

Ach weel, ya jus' dinnae ken, ya ken !

http://www.royalregimentofscotland.o...battalions.php