Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 14-12-2012, 21:59   #134
Bob Dobson
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Let's walk up Burnley Rd from the bottom.....Bradshaw St East is probably named after Aaron Bradshaw, a consulting engineer born up Stanhill who died 1899 aged 57. He was Briiliant. Amongst other things, he supervised the sinking of Scaitcliffe Pit, worked for Steiner and was on the first town council. His connection with Steiner is why there is a Bradshaw St in Church and a Bradshaw St West near to it, just over the border at the bottom of India St. Atarah tells me that he had a fine house, which he built, at the bottom of Willows Lane. Atarah is due credit for her work on our street names.

Next on the left is Arnold St, named after Arthur Arnold, a Salford MP, who in the 1860s gave assistance, probably to the Peels, which helped the development/improvement of Accrington.Unusually, there is some documentary evidence of this 'reward' - he referred to it in a speech in Accrington c 1884.

Next comes Addison St. I am now of a mind that this has nowt to do with an English man of letters of that name, but may have summat to do with a John Addison, works manager at Broad Oak. He lived in a fine house up Hollins Lane but I cannot find out much more about him. The Peels often rewarded local men with the honour of a street name.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote