Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 23:47   #155
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am interested in Queens Rd . The name first appears in the 1911 census thiough I was expecting something in 1901 or even 1891, as I had thought that the name would have been started, using Marshall St (?) near Whalley Rd and Pennyhouse Lane at the Burnley Rd end after the 1887 Jubilee or perhaps 1902 when Victoria died.
Interesting. The Victoria Hospital was opened in 1897/8 but that doesn't mean Queens Road had to be there then.

Only the houses opposite the hospital look to me to be early 1900s, it seems the first to be built was Glen Wold. Most of the other houses on the road look like 1920s 0r 30s and interestingly it's one of the few roads in Accrington where most of the houses are built largely of brick rather than stone.

Glen Wold, Accrington Image at PastPlaces
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.anc...wold/page2.htm

On Google Streetview the railway bridge at Penny House lane has an inscription which says it was rebuilt in 1935 and I reckon the houses on the RHS of Queens Road as you look towards Burnley Road date from around that time. I use to live in one of them, between Marlborough and Nutter Roads, when I was at school.

Never heard of Marshall Street, where was that?