Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 15-01-2013, 21:07   #161
Bob Dobson
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Sorry missed that bit in your previous post. Presume you mean Queensborough Road? Wonder where that name came from? Off the top of my head, most of the development north of Queens Road and east of Whalley Road is mid 20c or later - bungalowville. The houses behind the other side of Whalley Road eg Whitaker Street, seem a bit earlier.

This is a real nostalgia trip for me, used to walk up to the high school every day from Queens Road/Whalley Road opp the cong church when we moved there.
I've confirmed that Marshall St became Queensborough Rd. Nearby Ellerbeck Rd used to be called Charles St. Charles was first name of Rev Whitaker, whose land these two streets were built on. However, the name Ellerbeck is the name of the house near Clitheroe in which lived Miss Slinger, related in some way to Mr (Major?) Slinger who apears to have bought the land from Whitaker's executors and re-named the streets. These streets were on the Laneside Estate. One of the streets on it was intended to be called Slinger Rd but was later changed. I've forgotten which one and will need to look it up. Watch this space
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote