Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14   #188
Bob Dobson
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Back to street names: Foster Street is off Burnley Rd, one street down from Pennyhouse Lane/ Queens Rd. In the 1870s(?) a David Foster lived in a house at the corner Foster St & Burnley Rd., so maybe there is a connection there. The Peel family would have given the OK for the street's name, but I don't yet know what the connection with that family is.. I do know that it has nowt to do with Foster's fireplaces, Are there any Fosters in Accrington now who could throw light on this? I imagine that if there are, they will be proud to say that the street is named after their ancestor.
';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The Peels would have chosen this street name. I suspect that they would be familiar with Samuel Foster, a 'master house and church painter' employing 7 men in the town. Sam had a brother, David Foster ,who died in 1875 aged 27yrs, and it it may be the David living in Burnley Rd was his son, and may be that Sam, a wealthy man, owned the block of houses at the end of the street that bears his name. The Burnley Rd David was a taper, which was not a well-paid occupation, so he would not be able to afford a house of that standard off his wages.....I wonder if the Foster firm decorated the nearby St John's church when it was erected? In the mid-to-late 19th century there weas a fair bit of church building going on in Acc.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote