View Single Post
Old 18-02-2013, 13:17   #2
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Accrington Esperanto Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I was contacted recently by an Esperanto enthusiast looking to gain more information regarding the Accrington Esperanto Society. The limited info we have already is:

The Esperanto Society in Accrington was founded in 1909. The founder was a dentist called Lee. A Miss Lizzie Iddon (1867 – 1960) who became a Fellow of the British Esperanto Association in January of 1909, and she was listed as secretary of the Accrington branch, with S. Kirkbright listed as chairman in January 1911. Lizzie Iddon, originally from Accrington and later of Southport, won a competition for original writing in Esperanto in 1914. By August of that year the local society was meeting daily. Mr Edwin Roberts was secretary of the Accrington Esperanto Society in August 1912.

If anyone has any more information regarding the society or any of the names mentioned, it would be much appreciated and I'll see that it gets passed on. Thanks.
Although a Lizzie Iddon was born in Accrington in 1867, she's proving difficult to find in any of the census returns.
As for such a society in Acc pre WW1, I don't think a large majority of the working class folk in Acc would have had the time or the inclination to be involved in such.
I've never come across any reference to Esperanto in all the old newpapers I've read reseaching WW1.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote