View Single Post
Old 14-03-2013, 22:56   #32
GEaston

Re: New to forum, been investing in the town.

Morning All,

Watch the video on Travelshark - killer recommendations and if you can't understand that then I can't help you. That is though what we do, like it or not.

Lets be honest Retlaw, nobody is going to pull off the motorway to stop at Accrington, me included. Prior to last year my knowledge of Accrington was seeing an old postcard with a Tram from Manchester terminating at Accrington and not much else.

I bought a property via a commercial auction on Welcome - Pugh - Property Vendors and Auctioneers. It was on St James Street. Beautiful Georgian style stone property acquired for just 50k. Cosmetically had not had a penny spent on it for 30 years, but if you looked past that it was a fine property not dissimilar to those of Downing Street. I couldn't believe you could buy a place like that for 50k so I bought it without seeing it (20,000 mile round trip from Singapore doesn't make sense). Spent a further 12k renovating it, so I'm all in for 62. Nice property, now tenanted, because post renovation a business wanted to move into it. Prior to me buying it, it had been empty and uninhabited for 4 years.

I currently own 3 properties in the conservation are of the town so own 1/100th of your town :-) That will grow as I acquire more. I don't live in your town, but in a small way I am improving it and providing full time jobs and quality renovated workspace.

Whether you or anyone else approves of what I'm doing, or not doesn't matter two hoots to me. You can sit on the sidelines throwing sticks if you like - seems you may have had plenty practice, but I didn't come here to make friends.

To be clear the reason I came here was to find locals. I can employ some of them and learn from others (they know the town and its officials). I simply don't believe most folk are as negative as you.

Susie - no I'm not the person looking to start a tourism portal on the town. That's a sure fire fail because the town has no merit whatsoever in it's current state. If the Accrington Town Plan were actually funded then maybe the town could be revived, but not before.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote