Thread: 62 Abbey Street
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 21:45   #9
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: 62 Abbey Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I think the pub was there till at least 1821 and then it stopped being a pub sometime up to 1861. I think my friend said there were three pubs at one point, the warners, the black horse, and this one. They built Warner street to connect the three pubs.
The hairdressers was apparently the Snug, and there was an opening into the surgery at the back...you can still see where the door was.......The original stone troughing still runs across the hairdressers and the surgery.
Warner St is one of the oldest streets in this part of Accrington, and was in existence before little Blackburn Rd was built, or the pubs were thought of.
Abbey Street was the main street of New Accrington, and the numbers on the properties in Warner St run from top to bottom. they were changed at one time, but the numbering was changed back to its original state, it is possibly the only street in Accrington in which the numbers don't start at the town center end, the even numbers are on the left as you walk up. Other streets have the even numbers are on your right as you leave the town center.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote