View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 10:32   #96
Mog

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Ah yes, the 3 day week. Now why was that..... Well for those of us who are too blinkered to remember, the UK was in a mess, inflation was high and as a result the Government tried to cap Public Sector Pay, of course this did not go down well with the Unions, (just like the Civil Servants Pensions arn't going down well either...) so the National Union of Mineworkers, got their memebers to work to rule, causing sever shortages of power in the UK.
in the middle Heath lost the general election, then the rest of the 1970's we plauged by Strike after Strike, anyone remember the Winter of Discontent?
or even Callaghans 'Crisis what Crisis' comments...(To be fair I prefer Supertramps version).

Still its nice to see the Union Leaders did okay out of it, after4 all Arthurs still a hero....
Why is it that every time a coal mine is mentioned Arthurs name comes up and also your version of events is not the same as mine. Then again I worked in the mines during this period so you would think that I would know a little bit more about it than you. You cannot Work to rule in a coal mine. The members of the NUM put an overtime ban on. Thats all. There is no law that says you are forced to do overtime. There are others who work in the mines who were not in the NUM. There were the mining officials that were in NACODS and there were the Managers ( By the way. I was one of them ) who were in BACM. Or do you want to tell me more about my profession.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote