View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55   #98
Boeing Guy
JFT96

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Mog, I have the upmost brepect for your profession, it is somthing I could never have done.
I have no version of events, I was a child at the time of the 3 Day Week.

That said the country was in crisis, Inflation was going up January 1973, the Governement issued a White Paper on anti inflation.

In May 1.6 million workers staged a strike in support of the TUC's call for a 'day of national protest and stoppage' in protest at the Government's pay restraint policy and price rises. This action followed numerous strikes in the first few months of the New Year.

In November 1973, the menbers of the NUM started an Overtime Ban.

This caused a the Government to declare a state of emegency, due to the combined effects of action by Coal and electricity workers and also by the cut in Oil from the gulf states.

In December 1973, electricty was rationed to Industy, creating the 3 day week in the new year.

In January 1974 The National Coal Board offered the miners between 40p and 70p per week pay rise, this was rejected by the Pay Board.

The TUC meet the government at 10 Downing St but the NUM decided to continue the overtime ban.

Late January 1974, the Miner Leaders rejected a letter from the prime Minister to go back to work, carrying on the action.

Febuary 1974, the Miners Strike began.

The NUM now rejected a offer from industialists to pay between £1.50 to £2.00 per week on top of the NCB offer to all the miners.

March 174, the NUM reched a deal with the NCB after the new Labour Governement interviened. it cost £113 Million

July 1974 the pay board was abolished.

I may have missed bits out.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 09-04-2013 at 10:57.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote