Thread: 62 Abbey Street
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 20:39   #27
Karateman

Re: 62 Abbey Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have asked the library staff to research this. They can find no evidence of it having ben a pub. Shops too had cellars accessed from the street using pulleys/block & tackle. I have previously looked at the earliest directories and seen no pubs other than the well-known ones. When Abbey St was young,(say up to 1830) there were only half a dozen pubs in the town

More information...He believes the pub was built in 1827 and ceased being a pub around 1860ish. It was one of three pubs...the Warners, The Red Lion (not the Black Horse as I thought earlier) and this one. The houses around were built so the streets efectively connected the pubs. The address was originally 1 Warner st and 60 Abbey Street. The doctors surgery bought it from Babyland and as I said before the cellar had to be cleared and opened for the survey.
Gary said he watched some workmen empty the cellar and there were old beer barrels and beer pumps and other old pub paraphenalia down there and The owner of Babyland Ronnie Ormerod confirmed it used to be a pub and new the name of it but has flamin forgotten what it was.

Maybe the 1841 and 1851 censuses might throw more light on the matter. Could it have been an Ale house perhaps..were they sightly different to a pub maybe
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote