View Single Post
Old 25-04-2013, 11:02   #127
GEaston

Re: Abu Qatada to be deported

Alan,

You are indeed correct, the pope had exactly that mantra 1000 years prior. Doesn't suit him today but so far as I can tell the Christians didn't have the convert option, it was just kill the infidel because "god wills it".

I see the world from a different perspective Mog. I grew up in Newcastle where there are pretty much no other races than white English. I lived in Bermuda where whites are a minority, and here in Asia where religion is either non-existent (china) or multi-faith as here in Singapore.

Here we have no issues with faith. The Chinese make up 60% of the population and the believe all sorts of strange stuff (hungry ghost day - burning money to pass it to your dead relatives) alters for offerings (always involving burning stuff) but no religion we'd recognise.

There are Muslims, but no radical ones. Anyone like qatada here would be immediately removed from society (execution or prison). He would not have rights here, which was my point about human rights don't apply when you commit crimes against society such as murder.

All the Muslims I know here are nice folk who keep themselves to themselves. They can't stand the radical bunch either as it gives the peaceful majority a bad name. I do think they have issues with interpretation of their holy book, but no different to the Christian book. I distinctly recall George Bush on TV said re Iraq "god told me to do it" which is terrifying as the president actually has power.

If it were up to me I'd ban religion outright, all of them. It is after all the greatest cause of war and death on the planet. Chinese do just fine without it.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote