View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21   #90
barnsie

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi Robyn, nice to know you are still interested in your family tree. I am just "worried" that what I stumbled on yesterday, you may already know of. Were you aware of or, have you seen the faded photo that one of your rellies who lived in Canada had in his possession, now perhaps his family has it. Its your Barnes family, photo taken outside Whinside. A huge area of what we know as Whalley Road was known as Dyke Nook, some of it known as Lower Dyke Nook, which is where the house known as Hirstwood stood. From a 1976 newspaper article which I found "by pure chance" yesterday, whilst looking for something else, I am able to give you lots of family detail! More to follow .....
Dyke Nook House was around the Marlborough Club area of Whalley Rd and demolished late 1930's.
Hi Atarah,

Thank you so much for thinking of me.....Yes, I do have that photograph, received it a while ago, showing Joseph and Ann and their children about 1856. Had to check the Tree and there it is.....
Looking forward to anything at all which you may think interesting, thanks again. By the by, I have written against this photograph, Whinside Lower Dyke Nook.
Do you know who the Canadian connection was? I know Frank Dennison Barnes and family came from BC......

His son wrote the following:
In the case of Dyke Nook – there was Lower Dyke Nook, Dyke Nook Cottages & Dyke Nook itself and in 1909 or so MacAlpine built Dyke Nook Lodge.

Cheers Robyn
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote