View Single Post
Old 16-05-2013, 12:13   #17
Aussie Irene

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I believe my husband can shed a little light on this thread.

In 1946, Accrington Junior Technical School as it was called then, was on the corner of Portland and College Streets Accrington. It was a Trades school for boys.The boys came from a wide area of Accrington including Clitheroe(as stated above) Gt Harwood and the Rossendale Valley There were four forms, two building, and two engineering. 1B and 2B and 1E and 2E. One and two standing for first and second year. There were 24 boys in each form, 96 in the school. At the end of the second year the school found you a apprenticeship in whichever trade you preferred. The principle was Ernie Overend who had degrees in engineering. Lawrence (lol) Marsden was maths and science master for the engineers and JP Barr was maths and science for the builders. Hilda (mammy) Archer was english teacher for everyone. Plus Trades teachers. In 1947 the school moved into a empty school building across the road from the Palladium cinema in Oswaldtwistle. Ernie Overend left, and Lol Marsden was appointed Principle. Messrs Cunliffe,Shaw, Abbott and Howland joined the staff that year. My husband does not remember any photos of either staff,or students, being taken in those years, but has seen a photo on the net of the staff taken in 1950. It was still Accrington Junior Technical School when he left in 1948.
I forgot to say that the boys had to pass a scolarship to go to the school. There was no 11+ in those days

Last edited by Neil; 17-05-2013 at 09:16. Reason: fix quote
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote