View Single Post
Old 22-06-2013, 20:43   #30
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Game of thrones (HBOS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I saw some trailers for the series the other day so I thought I'd look it up online to have a watch, Series 1 episode 1, then 2,3,4,5 through to 10 in quick succession (a couple of episodes a night). Shocking, absolutely shocking, gratuitous & lascivious, debauchery, incest, homosexuality & posseltutes, nudity for the sake of it & the language, even as an ex-Squaddie it made my ears turn pink! Not your average Saturday afternoon family viewing with Gran or the Parents by any stretch of the imagination.

It's proper train crash viewing & morbid curiosity will keep pulling you back in to watch it, the rise & fall of great families, their desire & ambition for riches, putting it about with all & sundry, domination, death & destruction most horrible & violent, the right to rule. I sat & watched 5 episodes of series 2 yesterday evening. If you don't mind the disgustingnessness mentioned above & you enjoy your swords & sorcery (& can cope with bits flaccidly flopping about blokeys & wimmins) well worth a watch, but don't come back here all offended if it upsets your sensibilities, you were warned!

Rating 18+ + +
It's been absolutely riveting and a never miss for me for all three series. I'm biased..I'm a swords and sorcery nutjob and love this kinda stuff.

Yeah there's nudity, and violence...In my opinion its part of the tapestry of the story. Death aint clean and pretty a la Richard Greene and Errol Flynn, getting hit with a sword does not result in a pinprick of blood appearing on your chest, nor, I imagine, would a bloke who is probably about to die give his missus a quick peck on the cheek before wrapping his bright colourful blanket around him and falling asleep.

It's a great story, with rich characters, goodies with faults and foibles who sometimes do bad things, baddies with humanity and honour who sometimes do good things, the main actors actually die without warning. It has great shock value, whether its the nudity, the violence or the sudden twist in the tale and I'm literally drooling in anticipation for series 4 next year.

You know its funny how a few boobs and bums on TV has the rent-a-feminist brigade screaming exploitation, yet the sado-masochistic puerile nonsense of 50 shades of grey was lauded as liberating to women...go figure