View Single Post
Old 26-10-2013, 09:25   #5
Barrie Yates
Senior Member+

Re: Here We Go Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
BBC News - Working gun made with 3D printer

I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Latest on BBC is someone in Wythenshawe has been caught trying to make one.
I don't think I'd be keen on firing one but if the barrel just screws in you could change it for every shot to cut down the risk of it bursting in your face and taking your head off.
I certainly wouldn't want one pointing at me- even the little .22 cartridge would cause a lot of damage.
Biggest problem would probably be the ammunition- getting it and the fact that it's metal and would show on Xray.
This guy was trying to make gunpowder( to get round the ammo problem?). Now doing that really is dangerous, he must be a fool or mad. A good way to blow yourself up, never mind the gun.
There are many materials classed as plastic but many are not what you see around the house. There is also ceramics which are in some cases stronger than steel - so add together plastics (Kevlar, carbon fibre etc) with ceramics and I suppose it is possible to come up with a strong enough material. Caseless ammunition has been around for a long time and easy enough to use a ceramic caseless round. I did read somewhere in the past that the US military had carried out tests on such weapons.