View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 09:24   #37
Aussie Irene

Re: Bigoted or free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
There are so many words in the English language that it is not necessary to use offensive ones. I personally don’t think there is any need to call people by names that may offend, irrespective of the colour of their skin, where they come from, or their beliefs, but irrespective of this I agree that it does depend on the way something is said as to whether it can be classified as truly racist or not.

Like for instance being called a Pommy b****** can be very derogatory but can also be almost a term of endearment (honest!) – depending on how it’s said or in what context, or even who says it - and believe you me I have heard this expression many times while living out here. Funny though, somehow this expression never seems to be classified as racist (even when used in a bad way) – or is it just that us Poms are thicker skinned than most, or maybe can take it with a pinch of salt. Brought up tough (especially Lancastrians!!!).

However, I do dislike it when a person says ‘I’m not racist, but….….’ and then proceeds to be just that.
I think it is because we are a bit of all three Dotti. My hubby says they can say all they want about him as long as they don't go in his back pocket
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote