View Single Post
Old 17-05-2014, 14:44   #18
mobertol
God Member

Re: Jackson's Farm, previously Dill Hall Farm

I used to hear them every morning too - a real feature in the area -such a shame they stopped delivering with the horse and cart.
I know Malcolm Jackson and his wife Leslie (Snape as was) - they are a nice couple - used to let my husband go and have a wander through their herd and milking parlour when we were over visiting years back and he was missing his cows here in Italy!
I used to pass Malcolm's father, Mr Jackson regularly out collecting the milk money as I went on my rounds for Littlewoods Pools every week around Dill Hall and the Milnshaw estate - a long time ago. He died some years ago now but lived at home as a paraplegic for many years after his accident - terrible shame as he was such a nice man and a well respected farmer who was ahead of his time. He was the first farmer in Lancs to get a computerised milking parlour with automatic feeding - there was a programme on TV back in the 70's which featured it!
The Jacksons have been farming there for many generations as my Grandad told me that as a boy (he was born in 1909) he used to go and swing on Mr Jackson's gate on the path down to the canal and wait for the old man to come out and run after him and his pals with a big stick!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote