View Single Post
Old 28-08-2014, 07:20   #1
Leslie Depper
Junior Member+

Book"The Parkinson Family of Accrington" and Accrington Miscellanea

I am looking for some advice with regards to some books that I found in my deceased Mother's belongings. I was surprised to find some comments with regards to them in a post of 2009. The author is Richard Ainsworth. My Mother was born in Accrington in 1924 and lived on Hill Street. Her family and my father and his family were all involved in the textile mills. I am looking to sell these and want to know the best place.

Rob Dodson stated in his post "Ainsworth wrote a 32(?) [page pamphlet 'The Parkinson family of Lancashire' in 1932. I suspect it was funded by Henry Parkinson. I think it was given away rather than sold, and with it was a leaflet asking for anyone who had any knowledge of Parkinsons to contact Ainsworth. In 1936 he published a very thick book of the same title. Both are as scarce as rocking horse muck .I have been dealing in secondhand Lancashire books since 1969 and can recall having had 3 of the big book through my hands and none of the pamphlet, though I have one of my own."

I have in my possession the following:-

• Pamphlet, "The Parkinson Family of Lancashire - Historical Sketch", published 1932. It includes a loose leaf sheet with compliments from Henry Parkinson stating that it is a forerunner to a larger work, requesting information. In conjunction with this I also have a contemporary photograph of Joseph Henry Parkinson, with a brief history of his life written on the reverse. I assume that this is the same Parkinson. Excellent condition, with the exception of some arithmetic on the bag which appears contemporary with publication.

• Book, "History of the Parkinson Family of Lancashire" 1936. Excellent condition.
  • Book, "The Old Homesteads of Accrington and District" inscribed inside to my grandmother and including a newspaper cutting from the (Accrington?) Observer, March 19, 1963, referring to Ainsworth's death. Excellent condition.
  • In addition I also have two copies of "50 Years of Calico Printing" from the Calico Printers' Association Limited, 1949, one with it's dust cover and my father's Entrance Card into the Society in 1948. The other has no dust cover. Both in nearly new condition and one has a type writtien erratum slip collecting an error.
  • Finally I have the Accrington Jubilee Souvenir, 1878 - 1928, from 1928. I also have a mug which accompanies this. Excellent condition.
Regards,

Leslie
Leslie Depper is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web