View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 20:44   #169
Eric
God Member

Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Not much interest in the vote over here ... more folks are taken up by the annual Banjo Bowl between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. But from what we get in the media, and what is available from the UK press, I can't for the life of me see what Scotland has to gain ... and it's easy to figure out what they will lose: they will move from being a member of a powerful economy all the way to the sidelines ... they will have nonentity status pdq. It's not as if they don't have a "national" identity that is recognized world wide. Other than causing a big party and mammoth booze up, a yes victory gets them nowhere fast. Once the euphoria and the hangovers have gone, they wake up to being a third-rate state, renowned for their whiskey and little else. They will sail bravely into a backwater or irrelevance.

Quebec ... the French guys ... under its new premier, Philippe Couillard, seems to be increasingly content with its "distinct society" status within an economically powerful Canada. (Quebec is the most indebted province in Canada, and benefits from transfer payments from wealthy anglophone provinces such as Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, and BC. If any of you visit, say, Montreal ... an amazing city by the way ... don't be surprised to find that all signs are in French: there is a "French only" law governing this. Children of immigrants are educated in French. There are areas of the province where French is not just the dominant language; it's the only language. Eight million Canadians speak French as their first language ... I could go on; but I'm probably boring you already. Being as brief as possible, the Scots can have their haggis and eat it too by remaining in the UK. in the same way that Quebecois can maintain and develop their uniqueness within Canada.

By the way, my Canada includes Quebec ... mon Canada inclut le Quebec.

The Scots have a lot to think about in the next few days ... maybe sanity will prevail.

Hey, Saskatchewan just scored a touchdown

Last edited by Eric; 07-09-2014 at 20:46.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote