View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49   #19
Leslie Depper
Junior Member+

Wink Re: Book"The Parkinson Family of Accrington" and Accrington Miscellanea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Depper View Post
In case anyone is interested, I am going to be taking my collection of memorabilia for one of those Antique Roadshow style valuations at Calke Abbey this Wednesday. I am quite excited about it as I have never done anything like that before. The company is Bonhams, so they are very reputable.

If anyone is interested in the results, I will post how I got on.

Leslie
Had an interesting day at Calke Abbey valuation, which unfortunately was an utter waste of time. It was clear that the person I spoke to believed that we were there purely to benefit Bonhams and I think it would not be unfair to refer to him as an "Upper Class Twit" who had probably not been bright enough to go to University and had obtained his post at Bonhams purely on the grounds of nepotism!

I was particularly amused when quoting Bob Dobson on the rarity of one of my books as "rare as rocking horse ****" to which he exclaimed "What a quaint turn of phrase, I have never heard that before, I must try to remember it"! Finally he revealed his utter ignorance by giving a valuation on a Victorian clock as "about £40" when 8 years ago it was valued at approx £275!

Oh well, back to the drawing board. The best part of the day was that I picked up some salvia plants that have a beautiful flower similar to some of our native orchids and they are currently providing me with endless pleasure.
Leslie Depper is offline   Reply With Quote