View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 18:46   #1
staggeringman
land of hope and glory

riding barn street-coal merchant!

I dont know if anyone has a good memory but one of the locals has given me permission to show this photo,IT has a bit of history to it as well hope you enjoy!
This picture was taken on hyndburn road at the bottom of what is now riding barn street,Can you notice the farm house at the right hand side,also if you look just below the fence you can see anouther farm house on the horizon.No elmfield street and no council houses!The houses that you can see still stand and they are called park terrace south view, the inscription is on the stone post in front of the horse.The gentleman sat at the front of the cart was called DAVID POLLARD he was born in 1871,after checking the census of 1901 he was 29 years old and was born at enfield lancs darwen,His job title was a coal carter and he died on the 19th november 1936 aged 65 years.A little tale to tell of this gentleman is that during a game of cards against a member of the wilkinson family he lost his horse and cart along with the rest of his buisiness.After a while the chap who had won the game of cards sold up and bought and started wilkinsons removals.
there are two photos the original and one i have attempted to clean up hope you enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sledger original.jpg (117.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg sledger2.jpg (92.8 KB, 193 views)
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web