Thread: Gerard de Rose
View Single Post
Old 24-11-2014, 03:46   #5
Aussie Irene

Re: Gerard de Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Ever heard the name Gerard De Rose?

Gerard was an Accrington born lad, whose father was of Russian descent. He was born at "Carrara Cottage" in Oxford Street, the house still being there to this day. The house was named by his grandfather, Mr Tom Dean, a well known mason in his time, who made old-style marble fireplaces and ornaments. The name "carrara" is derived from Italian-style masonry work.

The old Grammar School which used to be along Blackburn Road once was known as the "Accrington School of Art and Crafts" and here he excelled in art. He won a State Scholarship in Art and attended the Royal College of Art in London. Whilst there WW2 broke out and he had to put his studies on hold. Later he resumed his studies at the Royal College and became a lecturer. His portrait painting became well known and he painted many famous people i.e. The then Duke of Bedford, Julie Christie, Charlie Drake, Ken Dodd, Mick Jagger and Morecambe and Wise (if you look closely, you can see M and W on the photo I have included).
His self portrait and a portrait of his wife are still in Haworth Art Gallery, although not always on public showing.
Thats Gerard on the front row, left hand side
Atarah, Do you know when the picture was taken?. My hubby seems to think the mayor in the photo looks like Accrington mayor Arthur Marsh. If he is correct, the photo would have been taken 1967-68
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote