View Single Post
Old 17-12-2014, 17:05   #10
Eric
God Member

Re: Coppice gates cordoned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The examples you give are original and witty Eric, irreverent and black humour too, I am struggling to see any of that in Jim's post?
Maybe ... but Neil's question was, "Is that supposed to be funny?" I believe humor was intended ... but the "Intentional Fallacy" kicks in. Jim "intended" humor, and failed ... well, in my opinion anyway. Just because he failed to mouth the appropriate platitudes of shock and outrage doesn't mean that he believes sexual assault is "funny".

Come to think of it, violence against women is endemic in all societies ... yes, even in our enlightened ones. In some cultures, those where women are not considered "human", let alone "equal", women face FGM, forced marriage, and not being allowed to drive. Here in the Great White North, aboriginal women are sexually abused and murdered, just because they are merely "squaws". Women are "imported" and forced into the sex trade. In the U. S. of Eh., prominent members of the Tea Party believe that a woman impregnated during a rape should be forced to carry the fetus to term. ... I suppose I could go on for much longer, but I hope I have made a point.

Rather than wringing our hands, and mouthing appropriate outrage and other synonyms of that word, maybe we should actually be doing something to address a problem that stubbornly refuses to go away, even in our enlightened times.

By the by, I remember another one from '67: "Campbell's have come out with a new soup. The call it Cream of Coniston." Now, that one I don't find all that funny ... just me I guess.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote