Old 02-01-2015, 06:21   #8
Accyexplorer
Senior Member+

Re: Bird feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower49 View Post
I do. I have a very cheap and cheerful bird feeder shaped like an orange

http://angelhousenewport.co.uk/media...angefeeder.jpg

Similar to this. I put all sorts in it. Have a robin (I am sure It's the same one) visit regularly and in the summer a lot of songbirds.

Squirrels seem to like it too, though.
I'd encourage the squirrels,I enjoy watching them work out ways of getting the nuts from feeders etc.
Our peg bought a (very similar) bird feeder but the birds just don't seem interested (maybe the odd wood pigeon),saying that my homemade fat balls have been up for days now and as far as I can tell they look relatively untouched too.
I'm wondering if it is too close for the birds to feel comfy I placed the feeder approximately 10 feet from the backdoor as I wanted to take a few photo's of them feeding/bathing.
It may be worth moving it nearer the hedge growth were they'll feel safer or maybe the fussy blighters just aren't interested in my offerings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
I put out raisins ( these get eaten first ) , suet , seeds and nuts a get a few blackbirds and either starlings or wrens not sure . But then cheeky pigeons come along.
I never thought of putting raisins out for the little blighters.....i'll definitely be trying them.
If they are getting eaten first there must be something about them that they really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We put out mixed seed, pastry, bread, sunflower hearts and fat balls. We tend to get all varieties of tits, hundreds of house sparrows, a robin and very rarely long tailed tits. The sparrows all lin up for a bath at the same time every day.
I've seen your pics Frank......one word.....jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I have a two bird tables and a couple of seed containers which I put sunflower hearts in.
There are robins usually two at a time, up to 6 gold finches at a time, green finch, blue tits,great tits, sparrows, starlings or heavy gang as I call them, occasionally a wren and about 4 times this last year a sparrow hawk has swooped down took a pigeon. Two collared doves come regularly too. So not bad really to say I live in a town. I have a bird bath too which they love both for drinking water and bathing. I buy mixed seed and the sunflower hearts and also put brown bread,suet and dried fruit out too.
I've seen a sparrow hawk take a pigeon around the Arden hall area (very impressive to watch).
Like you say, it's not a bad collection for a town garden.
I think, putting a bit of water out is essential too (many folk forget this) I'll be trying raisins and sultanas out in next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I'm ashamed to say I haven't put my feeder out this year - yet. Next grocery shopping I will stock up on seed and suet cakes for sure! I normally see Bluejays, cardinals, juncos and chickadees just to name a few of the Southern Ontario birds from around here
That sounds like a nice array of birds you have over there T but are they as aesthetically pleasing as my pigeons and magpies

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote