Thread: Ched Evans
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 19:52   #15
Eric
God Member

Re: Ched Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

ya see all these pesky human rights laws getting in the way again.Legality over morality and the legality usually prevails
I kinda see where you are coming from ... but I don't see the problem with the concept of "human rights" per se, merely its application. I do see a link to political correctness ... in the sense that accusations of sexual assault, particularly if the accused has some sort of "profile," are becoming all too common. Problem is: there is a problem. And it's getting shunted aside all the hype of specific, newsworthy cases. While folks tut-tut in sometimes mock outrage, young women, particularly the vulnerable, suffer sexual assault and exploitation in alarmingly high numbers. If one argues that cases such as this will encourage more victims to come forward ... well it just ain't gonna happen. Only if their complaints are taken seriously by the police will they be willing to take the real risks involved in coming forward. Also, society must see them as victims, not as drunken sluts who were asking for it.

And I have issues with the role model argument. This guy is a, what, second rate soccer player? The real role models for the young are their peers. With a youth culture in which binge drinking is a weekend norm, stuff like this is going to happen without the help of "role models."

The attitudes of men towards women, particularly in their, let's say, sexual availability, have changed somewhat. But not enough. And with males in positions of power, probably not at all. So, while there definitely is a problem, wasting time and energy debating whether or not someone should be able to earn a living kicking a ball around ain't going to solve it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote