Thread: Priestly Clough
View Single Post
Old 13-03-2015, 20:22   #130
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Priestly Clough

Long before 1960...during a pretty cold winter we(my brothers and I) went to survey the lodge.
This was a place that we were forbidden to go, unless with an adult...and we weren't.
Both of the lodges...the big one and the little triangular shaped one, were frozen over.
My brother Michael wanted to skate on the frozen ice and squeezed through the railings.
I pleaded with him not to go onto the big lodge.....but he did not listen to me.
The ice cracked and into the freezing water he went. He could not swim and the shock of the cold water had sort of stunned him.
I saw a thick branch lying in the wooded side of the lodge and I managed to get hold of it.
I held this out to him and with the help of Peter(another brother) we managed to fish him out.
We took him home, blue with cold and shivering and shaking.
He dared not go in the house...fearing what Ma would say.
She came to the top of the back steps and flung a bucket of cold water over him saying
'you like water????? I'll teach you to like bl**dy water'
he was then brought into the house and had his bar bum paddled , then he was wrapped in warm clothes and sent to bed to consider the error of his ways.

It made no difference he was always in some kind of scrape...as Cashy will no doubt attest to.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote