View Single Post
Old 25-03-2015, 09:42   #17
dotti34

Re: What makes a good/bad forum?

My previous posting on this thread was what my interpretation of what a forum is in answer to AccyX’s question – but to me Accyweb is much more than a run-of-the-mill forum. Although it is called a Community Forum I would put the emphasis on the ‘community’ part of it as it encompasses so many other things besides being a discussion group.

From a personal point-of-view I originally joined because I needed help with some family research and I received this very promptly and generously, but I soon discovered what a great site it is, am still here and feel privileged to be a member. It is a part of my daily ‘read’.

It is very humbling the way members support each other when things are not always that good. We have all felt deeply the loss of ‘friends’ who we didn’t know personally but had met through Accyweb and felt close to. Part of the family, the community spirit.

We are also able to share a laugh and to acknowledge other's achievements, again the community spirit, also offering helpful advice when this is asked for. So much more than just a forum, although I agree it is important to have interesting topics to discuss as well.

I agree with Margaret in that if you have some gripe, AccyX, then come out with it, don’t hide behind insinuations. You tend to make a statement then half go back on it. You mention a good community spirit – well see my comments above re this. The sort of explicit language you have in mind is not necessary for an intelligent person to get a point across, and I personally think the moderators do an excellent job, only stepping in when absolutely necessary.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote