View Single Post
Old 25-03-2015, 11:33   #19
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: What makes a good/bad forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I'll say it 'again',I'm not referring to this forum with my questions.
I have no gripe with this site and I think it has good community spirit (most of the time) and in general it is a good all round forum with regards to moderation etc.
One thing that could make 'this forum' better imo is folk could create threads/comment a little more but that's their personal choice and I hope my presence doesn't influence this
In case you haven't noticed,I've tried bitting my tongue and not creating controversy with my comments of late.

Explicit language (swearing,in moderation) wouldn't go a miss but that's just my opinion and I comprehend it's a child friendly site.

So, what sort of things help bring in new members and the possibility of donations which help fund forums?
Folk DO create threads when something worth commenting on comes to mind...there is not much point in creating mindless threads(and Jason, this is not a dig at you....I am forthright enough to tell you when you post something which is not so hot).....there is not much point in creating threads that will cause ill feeling or be hurtful.
Swearing is totally unnecessary to get your point across...and it is a family forum.It is bad enough having to listen to swearing in general conversation....as if the commonality of it makes it alright...for me, it is only alright when you have bashed your thumb with a hammer or stubbed you toe against the doorframe.

I welcome new members with a fervent hope that they will bring something of themselves to the forum...something interesting.......and even when this hope is dashed I am always willing to give them another chance.......I don't condemn someone because they hold different views to mine.

I have never seen the community spirit of Accyweb fail...and that is over 11 years of being a member. If someone is in a tough spot there are always words of comfort, and in many cases offers of practical help too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote