View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45   #10
Accyexplorer
Senior Member+

Re: alternative care for elderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
What Fra is asking is wouldn't it be better to have a live in companion who could help with the caring in return for accommodation?
And the answer has to be Yes it would.....as long as the issues around what duties are carried out by the live in companion, that these were mutually agreed and documented in a legal style contract.
It has to be better for older people to be cared for by someone in their own home on a 'live in' basis than for the elderly person to go into a care home.....and this could be less expensive.
You just have to find the right person. Someone who can get along with the older person.
I know if I were widowed and on my own I would rather live alongside someone, do the cooking, shopping and the housework for two.....especially if it meant my living costs were reduced by having my accommodation provided.

As for other options for home care....well, they are abysmal.....and you are right about those employed to provide the care.They are (in the main) slap dash and only doing it for the money.
This is because they don't get enough time to form bonds with those who they are caring for.
Forming bonds means that you actually do 'care' about the person for whom you are undertaking personal tasks.......and that is the difference.
In the main I'd have to agree M,I'd personally prefer to have a companion (live in) than go into care.
But unless that bond is water tight it's open to a whole array of problems.
I personally can't see how one person living and caring for a elderly person in return for accommodation can be done without great issues arising.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 02-04-2015 at 07:54.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote