Thread: Small Beer?
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2015, 20:02   #17
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Small Beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It isn't that they deserve a label, but that each of those brave men gets the recognition that their sacrifice warrants.
Personally, I think to use The Pals as an advertising stunt(because essentially that is what it is) devalues their bravery.
We should always remember them but not in this way to benefit a commercial venture
Margaret.
What got me was his post about the Pals Ales. If it had been anyone else in the Observer other than Grahm Jones nothing would have been said, he just can't resist having a dig.
One thing your wrong about, it is Not a Commercial venture, our Cath is trying to raise funds for the Pals commemoration for July 1st 1916.
There are some events going to take place in Accrington on that date which there is no other way to get funding, she's tried various funding organistations but they are not interested in much outside the Southern Counties. I am also tring to get new panels made for Accrington's War Memorial, there are 14 men named twice, 18 spelling mistake 2 men who did not die, and 9 Accrington Pals missing.
I have also created two books in memory of Bill Turner listing all the Pals Casualties July 1/5th 1916, the numbers bandied about on web sites are miles out, even the Battalion War diaries are wrong. These books are at present with a bookbinder and will be presented to the Mayors of Bapaume & Puisuex on July 1st 2016. All this has come out of my pocket, it hasn't cost the people of Acc anything. I sometimes wonder why I ever bothered to start all this work, when some one who should know better starts making snide comments, no matter how much they deny it. I know he's entitled to his opinions I just wish he would keep them to himself.

Rant over for now.

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-05-2015 at 20:07.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote