View Single Post
Old 26-05-2015, 08:14   #25
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Small Beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Margaret.
What got me was his post about the Pals Ales. If it had been anyone else in the Observer other than Grahm Jones nothing would have been said, he just can't resist having a dig.
One thing your wrong about, it is Not a Commercial venture, our Cath is trying to raise funds for the Pals commemoration for July 1st 1916.
There are some events going to take place in Accrington on that date which there is no other way to get funding, she's tried various funding organistations but they are not interested in much outside the Southern Counties. I am also tring to get new panels made for Accrington's War Memorial, there are 14 men named twice, 18 spelling mistake 2 men who did not die, and 9 Accrington Pals missing.
I have also created two books in memory of Bill Turner listing all the Pals Casualties July 1/5th 1916, the numbers bandied about on web sites are miles out, even the Battalion War diaries are wrong. These books are at present with a bookbinder and will be presented to the Mayors of Bapaume & Puisuex on July 1st 2016. All this has come out of my pocket, it hasn't cost the people of Acc anything. I sometimes wonder why I ever bothered to start all this work, when some one who should know better starts making snide comments, no matter how much they deny it. I know he's entitled to his opinions I just wish he would keep them to himself.

Rant over for now.
How pathetic, millions of men have died so that we can speak freely.
I spoke freely, you seem to be protesting against that freedom in favour of a commercial publicity stunt just because it involves your daughter.
The pals and all others involved in this conflict died to allow me to speak freely, not so that their memory would be exploited 100 years later in a cheap promotion for 'small beer'.

If you feel slighted by my comments that is your problem not mine, I didn't start the thread to have a dig at anyone but you seem to have taken it to heart and are trying to blame me, AccyWeb and anyone that may show an inclination to agreeing with my comments, which thanks to the very same sacrifices of those brave men you are entitled to do, I however do not need or desire their memory to be used in some commercial publicity stunt. Death made them equal and equal is how I will remember all the fallen.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote