View Single Post
Old 28-05-2015, 14:32   #1
dusty mears

Accrington Pals Commemorative Ale

Having read some of the comments on “Small Beer,” I’m reminded why I no longer bother with this site – too many armchair trolling, opinionated, scrimshankers, gobbing off about things they know little fact about. A bit behind with this “story” too.

The idea for an Ale came about in 2012. Can’t remember if it was mine or my friend’s idea now. We did some local research and came across Irwell Works Brewery who could do what we wanted, keen to support the idea, even an Accrington connection. The label names, images are chosen by us, Irwell put them into production. We commissioned them to produce the labels/Ale exclusively for us. They are not making a "fat profit." But they are running a business

The Ale was actually launched in 2013 at the Food Festival – 3 labels

Lest We Forget, Over the Top and Lions Led by Donkeys; featuring a photo of my Great Uncle Walter Holmes. My project, my prerogative.

2014 – 3 new labels launched. Kings Shilling, Kitchener’s Call Up and Turners Tales; featuring a photo of the late William Turner. Mrs Turner was over the moon with the suggestion and gave it her full support.

2015 – 3 new labels. Brothers In Arms (photo 3 brothers from Accrington), Hill 10 (a cemetery in Turkey where a 15 year old Accrington boy is buried); Gallantry at Gallipoli (photo Edwin Taylor). The beer labels ARE NOT about individual soldier’s names – read them !!

2014 – invited to Westminster by Graham Jones, MP to launch one of the Commemorative Ales in the Strangers Bar. It went on sale 1 July. It was in the press. Didn’t see a song and dance about that !

Whilst developing the 2015 labels, Graham was emailing me regards his Grandfather. It was my suggestion that Edwin feature. No he didn’t do anything any more important than any other who served. He was an ordinary bloke, lucky to get away with his life, as was the case with many comrades.

Studio25 / Less – it is not feasible to do individual labels. We’re not sat at home with a pc and printer making labels for half a dozen pots of jam. These are run off in hundreds. Each label has to be put together first. There are no bar codes

Margaret Pilkington – you should read some of what you have written – contradictory and utter nonsense.

Guinness – thank you. The Centenary Commemoration is a national programme of 2014, 2016 and 2018. As pointed out, 1 July 2016 will be 100 years since 720 men went over the top.

Eric – good on you over in Canada. Wynonie, Cashman – thank you too.

The Ale has actually received publicity since 2013 – it was in the local papers. To the other comments, why is Graham in the paper suddenly “commercial, publicity stunt” when it’s been in the press before? Keep up people please.

The Commemorative Ale IS NOT a commercial enterprise, a business, nor masquerading as a charity or even a charity. My friend and I got it off the ground using thousands of our own money to buy stock, etc. We’ve only recently got our outlay back and the Ale nicely paying for itself. We have all done it as volunteers, not taking one penny from it. We’re doing it at our own expense – driving here, there and everywhere to set up stalls in all weathers. We don’t take a wage or expenses. We are not using the Pals as an advertising stunt, they sadly don’t need any advertising. As someone who had a relative serve with the Pals and then killed, I take offence at those suggestions.

The Ale has sold in its thousands, gone all over the country and is even international – Australia, America, Canada, Dubai, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, South Africa - those are just the countries we know of. Recent enquiries from Austria and Singapore to buy it.

“Commercial” and “advertising stunt” are in my view, along the lines of Grants Bar who’ve made a Pals beer and the “Pals themed” bar recently opened in the town centre, the Singleton’s cheese. They’re in it to make money. We’re in it to generate funding to pay for small local projects. How is volunteers – not taking a penny - generate funds - commercial ? Thank god you’re not running the country !

As Father’s already said, the Ale hasn’t received this negative, cynical whinging on Facebook or other social media sites. Quite the contrary. It's been welll supported. The sales show that too. Referring to it as "small beer" I find derogatory.

I wanted to make the Ales of interest, real, to keep memories of all alive, lest we forget – end of.