View Single Post
Old 29-05-2015, 18:45   #6
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: The Mandela Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This is a puzzling phenomenon that many people report as having experienced, whereby 'history' as accepted now, differs from what they personally recall.
It is given the term 'Mandela effect' because of the very many people who reported that they recall Nelson Mandela's death being reported decades before the 'recent' death only a few years ago.

This has also been the experience applied to several other deaths of famous/notorious persons whose demise has received public attention.

The phenomenon not only applies to such deaths, but to strange changes between what is remembered and what is now regarded as 'fact'.

For example -
..A man reported that during a regular drive past a row of shops, he noticed one has changed type of trading overnight and the shop owners insist they have traded those goods there for years.

These anomalies represent subtle puzzling changes in what is accepted as 'reality'

Another frequently reported anomaly is the location of New Zealand's position and distance from Australia. - It isn't where I recall school maps showed it in the 50's.

It is evident that 'historic memories' differ between people.
Persons of all ages report it, so it isn't 'dementia related'.

One possible theory for it is multiple parallel universes coexist which have subtle insignificant changes (glitches) from each other, where a 'you' exists in all of them, and your conscious awareness has unintentionally shifted from one to another.

I have personally been puzzled by several such anomalies, and hope you can tell some of your own (I don't want to be the only nutter is the village)

In the 50's I recall reading newspaper headlines reporting the fire destruction of the Crystal Palace. I believed this to be a 'fact' which to me was incidental and irrelevant, and was puzzled to discover, only a few years ago, that it happened in 1936 - before I was born !
Or it could just be the most complex part of the human body screwing around, electrical impulses misfiring or jumping into the wrong synapse.

For me, once lived in a house for 12 years before I noticed a telegraph pole 20 yards away, despite the fact that I opened my curtains every morning with it directly in my line of sight.....

And everyone has experienced 'deja vu'....we've all had that been there, seen that, done that moment split second that the brain occasionally takes to catch up with reality