View Single Post
Old 29-06-2015, 04:53   #21
carpon
Full Member+

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post

We're a little nation in a world of big ones.
We haven't got a viable Army any more. We've hardly any Navy left- we've even had to borrow France's aircraft carrier. If we ever get our own carriers we've no planes for them. The RAF is just a shadow, we even struggle to keep 4 old Tornadoes flying in Iraq. We couldn't do the Falklands again,we couldn't do Iraq again(the Yanks had to help us out even then), we couldn't do Afghanistan again(the Yanks had to help us out even then). Without the Yanks we'd have been speaking German( or Russian ) for many years now. The Russians are flying round our coasts just for a laugh, checking if we still have any planes flying.
Sorry, but despite the cuts (which I don't agree with) we still retain the means to be a force in these modern times.

Our carriers are on order and in build and the J.S.F. (Joint Strike Fighter) will be ready to sit on them when completed. In the meantime we have made arrangements with allies to plug the temporary gap. We have Tornadoes based in the Falklands along with other hardware to act as a deterrent to the Argentines, not to mention countless troops based in or around the area..........all of which are deterring Argentina from going any further than foolhardy "rhetoric"

Your post is worded extremely badly and implies that we fought in Iraq & Afghanistan and relied on the U.S.A. to back us up....Quite incorrect.....we only committed a limited amount of resources and troops to support causes/ campaigns that where in essence American led. Albeit at a significant cost......and no-one should ever forget that.....

The comment about speaking German or Russian "for years now" is laughable....Unless you've forgotten history, it was a combined effort of British, American and Russian troops and hardware that stopped Hitler in his tracks.

As for the last sentence, We regularly scramble a token gesture (i.e a limited and appropriate response) of our air defences to intercept these probes.....Eurofighter Typhoons..... a very sophisticated and high tech fighter aircraft that I've had the privelage of working on ( along with the Tornado & other aircraft)...

What goes reported is how often the Russians send these probes to play the cat and mouse games that were commonplace during the "cold war"....have you ever stopped to think that we might be doing the same to probe Putin & the Russian defences ????

In summary, I feel your ill advised "comments" are an insult to our armed forces and the next time you take to the keyboard, I'd suggest you do some research before you spout your "opinion".

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 29-06-2015 at 05:02. Reason: spelling
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote