View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 09:12   #44
Studio25

Re: Should the TV License be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if you run kodi from your laptop or pc to your tv you dont need a tv licence just pull the arial out the back and they cant do jack.Just dont renew and wait for the letter they send saying you dont seem to have bought another license and sign the bit saying you no longer need one
From the TV licencing website:
Quote:
You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device.
So if you're watching or recording something that is being shown simultaneously on terrestrial freeview, regardless of where the signal is coming from, you need a licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i dont need the BBC and im not breaking any current laws but please check for yourself
In order
  • not relevant
  • yes you are
  • I did

The government's use of the licence fee income is not relevant - if you watch or record any of the freeview channels, including the +1 and +24 channels, as they are being broadcast (either live or time shift) you should have a TV licence.

If you go onto the BBC iPlayer website and browse through the old programs that are available, you won't have any questions raised. As soon as you click on a "watch live" link, you get a popup asking if you have a tv licence.

I've been campaigning in the family to get rid of our TV licence because we watch about three hours of live TV per week, and it's all dross. My son watches youtube channels, I watch archived shows from back when TV was worth watching (c**p - I've turned into my dad), my wife watches some daytime TV if she's trying to wind down after a bad shift at the hospital and my stepson just has rubbish on for the background noise. I reckon we could get all that off the internet.

Incidentally, if anyone is planning to try to circumvent the licence requirement by using the internet as the source for live TV, you should probably take steps to anonymise your connection. The way the licensing team "get" you is if you grant them access to your premises, or if they can see your TV through a window. The so-called detector vans don't work. However, using your internet connection leaves a data trail that can be used as proof of what you were watching. I've no idea if they would actually go to such lengths to prove their case, but it's worth noting.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote