View Single Post
Old 17-09-2015, 19:44   #61
Studio25

Re: Should the TV License be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I'm a bit confused. See post 39 about streaming.
I don't know why you're confused - the TVLI quote BG mentions says quite clearly that you need a licence if you are watching or delaying live TV, which is what I said in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
My source is the law (ISTR communications act 2003), not the TVLI.
That law states in section 368 paragraph 1 that the definitions it covers are subject to the regulations made by the secretary of state. In other words a TV is whatever the government decides it is. It also goes on to give a non-exhaustive list of what qualifies as a TV device. Have you actually read it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Whatever the TVLI website says is often misleading and designed to fool you into buying a license when you do not need one.
I think you're kidding yourself. Most government departments that are trying to get money from pretty much every household in the country are more interested in what's fair than in how much they get. Especially national ones like DVLA, HMRC and TVLI. If the government needed more money from one of these, they wouldn't lie about the qualifying criteria, they'd just put the price up. Because they can.

TVLI appear to be heavy-handed because they work on the assumption that everyone watches some TV in their home at some point. It follows that people who say they don't need a licence either
  1. really don't need one or
  2. are lying
The first category are a complete minority and they have to go through all the aggro because there are more people in the second category.

You might disagree with my interpretation of what qualifies as licensable TV, but I can bet that if ever you're caught, the district judge who hands out the fine will disagree with you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
seems to me that the BBC are everywhere but were the only ones subject to a tv licence
It's worse than you think. There are some services that the BBC produces for the rest of the world that people in the UK aren't allowed to access - because although it's made by an organisation funded by UK citizens, we're not the intended audience.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web