Thread: Crematorium
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 05:45   #94
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Crematorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
If they had such an issue with it why didn't they ask to speak to me before going to the press?

It's not an unreasonable question.
Maybe those concerned felt that their requests would have fallen on deaf ears.
After all, politicians even local ones are not noted for listening to those who put them where they are....that is, serving their constituents.
Resorting to Press involvement is sure to stir things up......and at the end of the day that is what produced results.

I had the need to attend a humanist funeral at Burnley Crematorium recently......many of those attending had strong Christian beliefs(a large proportion were Catholic)........how do I know this for sure? It was for a family member.
The deceased was humanist, but his family were not.....the Christian symbolism was not offensive......and I believe that at a funeral the last thing on the minds of the bereaved is to look at the surroundings looking for things at which offence can be taken.

It seems to me that in this country we are tolerant of other religions, but that we do not expect others to be tolerant of Christians.

Finally, your admission that you misread the feelings of the local population took too long in coming and it seemed begrudged and insincere.......when you have got something wrong the admission needs to be prompt and the apologies sincere.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 08-12-2015 at 05:48.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote