View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 18:38   #8
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Accrington Cemetery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
A task that i'm sure that your capable of Retlaw, have you got a few weeks to spare to help them, I'm sure many would appreciate it.

(I am only kidding OM.)

In this day\age it's surprising to find anywhere that has not digitised all their old records.
You'd be surprised, there are 1000's of documents at Kew Record office that will never be digitised, on the several occasions I have been down there and wanted coppies of documents, they have refused to put them on a photo copier saying it damages the records, but they will photograph them onto film and make prints for you, you pay for all this, but they keep the negatives. The only way the WW1 Service records in the burnt and the unburnt sections, and the Medal records, is because Kew didn't have to pay for it.
There are also 1000s of records helld by the war office, the Red Cross, and numerous Regimental Museums that haven't digitised their records. It costs a bucket load of money just for the equipment, then labour costs and making the records searchable. Another thing at kew all bags are searched and only certain items are allowed to be taken in to the viewing rooms, your not allowed any writing instrument other than a pencil and woe betide you if you put your hands on the documents oter thanto turn the pages, paper slips are providedc to rest your hands on, and you will be shot if you produc a digi camera or phone.

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-12-2015 at 18:44.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote